Friday, July 1, 2022
Home New Release Ontario to enter Step 3 of COVID-19 reopening plan on July 16,...

Ontario to enter Step 3 of COVID-19 reopening plan on July 16, days earlier than expected

The Ontario government is poised to move the province into Step 3 of the COVID-19 reopening plan nearly a week earlier than the previously expected date, officials confirmed Friday.

The province will move into Step 3 on Friday, July 16 at 12:01 a.m., five days ahead of schedule. Ontario was originally slated to move into the next step on July 21.

Dr. Kieran Moore, Ontario’s new chief medical officer of health, is set hold a news conference at noon Friday.

Read more:
Doug Ford says next steps in Ontario’s COVID-19 reopening plan to be announced within 3 weeks

Here’s is what’s changing in Step 3:

  • Outdoor social gatherings and organized public events with up to 100 people with limited exceptions;
  • Indoor social gatherings and organized public events with up to 25 people;
  • Indoor religious services, rites or ceremonies, including wedding services and funeral services permitted with physical distancing;
  • Indoor dining permitted with no limits on the number of patrons per table with physical distancing and other restrictions still in effect;
  • Indoor sports and recreational fitness facilities to open subject to a maximum 50 per cent capacity of the indoor space. Capacity for indoor spectators is 50 per cent of the usual seating capacity or 1,000 people, whichever is less. Capacity for outdoor spectators is 75 per cent of the usual seating capacity or 15,000 people, whichever is less;
  • Indoor meeting and event spaces permitted to operate with physical distancing and other restrictions still in effect and capacity limited to not exceed 50 per cent capacity or 1,000 people, (whichever is less);
  • Essential and non-essential retail with with capacity limited to the number of people that can maintain a physical distance of two metres;
  • Personal care services, including services requiring the removal of a face covering, with capacity limited to the number of people that can maintain a physical distance of two metres;
  • Museums, galleries, historic sites, aquariums, zoos, landmarks, botanical gardens, science centres, casinos/bingo halls, amusement parks, fairs and rural exhibitions, festivals, with capacity limited to not exceed 50 per cent capacity indoors and 75 per cent capacity outdoors;
  • Concert venues, cinemas, and theatres permitted to operate at:
    • up to 50 per cent capacity indoors or a maximum limit of 1,000 people for seated events (whichever is less)
    • up to 75 per cent capacity outdoors or a maximum limit of 5,000 people for unseated events (whichever is less); and up to 75 per cent capacity outdoors or a maximum of 15,000 people for events with fixed seating (whichever is less).
  • Real estate open houses with capacity limited to the number of people that can maintain a physical distance of two metres; and
  • Indoor food or drink establishments where dance facilities are provided, including nightclubs and restobars, permitted up to 25 per cent capacity or up to a maximum limit of 250 people (whichever is less).

Masks and face coverings will remain in place in indoor public settings throughout Step 3, officials said, as will physical distancing requirements.

Story continues below advertisement

Some outdoor public settings will also require mask wearing, the government added.

Ontario said the province will remain in Step 3 for at least 21 days and until 80 per cent of those eligible, aged 12 and older, have at least one shot of a COVID-19 vaccine, and 75 per cent are fully immunized with both doses.

After meeting those thresholds, the province is looking at removing the majority of public health and workplace safety measures. These measures include lifting capacity limits for indoor and outdoor settings and lifting social gatherings.

Officials noted only a small number of measures will remain in place such as passive screening such as signage and businesses needing a safety plan.

Read more:
Haircuts, small indoor gatherings now allowed as Ontario enters Step 2 of COVID-19 reopening plan

However, the shift to an earlier date appeared to differ from what Moore previously indicated in terms of his preference for moving into Step 3.

Under the three-step plan released on May 20, a minimum period of three weeks will be in place before Step 3 could come into effect. Based on the previously published criteria, the earliest Ontario was set to enter Step 3 would have been July 21.

During his first news conference, Moore said he expected the province would remain in Step 2 for at least three weeks due to concerns about COVID-19 variants.

Story continues below advertisement

“With Delta being present, we obviously have to watch what is going on around the world where Australia and multiple cities have had to lockdown, Israel is back with masking in public spaces, Europe might be looking at further public health measures,” he said, noting the two-to-three-week intervals are important.

“We’re going to be watching internationally, nationally, provincially, locally — being data-driven and advise government based on data.”

Read more:
Public Health Ontario COVID-19 data showing vaccines provide ‘high degree’ of protection

In terms of the vaccination guidelines set out for Step 3 (between 70 and 80 per cent of eligible adults receiving their first vaccine dose and 25 per cent receiving their second dose), those thresholds have since been met.

On Friday, the province reported that first dose adult coverage stands at 78.9 per cent with 52.7 per cent of adults being full immunized.

Moore was pressed about possibly accelerating the move into Step 3. However, he reiterated past government messaging and said reduced hospitalizations, ICUs as well as the level of virus spread and its associated reproduction rate will all be weighed in the decision to leave Step 2 behind (the exact thresholds for each of those data metrics weren’t released).

This is a developing story that will be updated throughout the day.

Advertisement

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

The Watch program in Lethbridge wins provincial award

Dan McGee has been volunteering with The Watch Program in Lethbridge since its inception back in 2019 and said his time with the program...

COVID-19: B.C. reports first uptick in hospital admissions in 6 weeks

British Columbia health officials reported the first uptick in COVID-19 hospital admissions in six weeks on Thursday. The number of total patients in hospital with...

How did the truck where 53 migrants died get through a U.S. border checkpoint?

The tractor-trailer at the center of a human-smuggling attempt that left 53 people dead had passed through an inland U.S. Border Patrol checkpoint with...

Elon Musk’s ‘Teslas in Tunnels’ Las Vegas project is still happening, and here’s the first station

The first passenger station in the “Vegas Loop” network of vehicle tunnels that’s being built by Elon Musk’s Boring Company was revealed Thursday. The...